Background

1.10.2012

I need to write this...



I need to step back from my normal art-related posts for a moment and vent about something that is happening as I type this. I apologize in advance if this bugs any of you, but I need to get it off my chest.

This blog is named Melmore Street Studio after the street my grandparents lived on in Tiffin, Ohio. I named is as a sort of homage because my grandfather taught me to draw in their breakfast nook and they both meant a great deal to me. I consider that I half grew up in Tiffin, and all of my best memories are from there.

My parents moved back to Tiffin, their hometown, about 15 years ago, so there is still a strong connection to the town. For the last 5 years or so, my dad has been a part of the Tiffin Historic Trust, which works to support preservation of local buildings, among other things. He has participated in a campaign to restore the historic Beaux-Arts courthouse, which was being slated for demolition. After a long fight, during which he and the Trust received much criticism from many Tiffinites who wanted to see the courthouse razed, the battle was lost. I am sure some of the blame falls on the economy, but I cannot help but feel that much of it should fall on a town that apparently does not value its heritage. Tiffin is the county seat, so a restored courthouse would have added great value to the town.

Needless to say, I am pretty discouraged right now. I am not sure I want to continue my "homage" to the place I loved as a child, as I now see its true colors. It is difficult to see this as progress, since whatever will go in the space being vacated will probably have all the charm of a Burger King. Tiffin has some wonderful people who care deeply about their town, but the prevailing winds just don't care. I may decide to rename my blog, and if I do I will certainly let you know in advance, though I will give it much thought first.

Here is a link to today's Toledo Blade article about the demolition.
http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/01/10/Tears-flow-as-history-falls-to-wrecking-ball.html

Thank you very much for putting up with my thoughts on this matter. The next post will be on my Rosehill progress, I promise.