I can't believe it's 2020!

Hello there! If you wondered how I've been (and don't follow me on Instagram @melmorestreetstudio ) I wanted to post a little update. 2019 was a great year for me in terms of developing my mixed media technique, and also personally as I got remarried! Here are some images of the various projects I have worked on over the last few months.

Fabric collage on cradled board, with details in Prisma colored pencil. All of these pieces start with a vintage inspiration photo.










Mixed media collages on cradled board. Vintage paper ephemera, with acrylic paint. These pieces are being carried by The Red Shoes, an amazing home goods store in Ann Arbor.







I don’t normally say this about my own work, but I made something beautiful! All wool, double crochet granny squares using a limited palette. It took about three weeks to finish, but the majority of the centers were crocheted by me about 6 years ago from wool skeins I found at a yard sale. It’s so satisfying to have finished something that I truly love.






And finally, I made a Raggedy Ann doll in the style of Volland, the company that made the original Raggedy Ann doll in 1918 for Johnny Gruelle who wrote the books. I’ve always wanted one, but they cost thousands of dollars since they are rare. I drafted my own pattern based on photos of the dolls, and everything is hand stitched. I made mine 13 inches tall rather than the original 16 inch size. Her face is hand painted with glass shoe button eyes. Her hair is brown wool (which I hand spun) like the originals which had brown hair instead of the red on later dolls. I also made her a slightly fancy crossed-back apron from a vintage embroidered pillowcase. I love her and she came out better than I had hoped. I am considering making a few of these to sell on my Etsy shop. I would love your feedback!












I hope that 2020 is treating you well, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

Popular Posts