My Latest Sculpture...




I recently had the pleasure of participating in the alumni art show for the University of Michigan School of Art & Design. I managed (despite the baby) to crank out this sculpture titled "Superior", which is a symbolic representation of Lake Superior in female form. I'll get some better pics taken to post later, but this is what I've got at the moment. Under her skirt are images of ships being tossed in a storm, which you can't see here, and her upper torso is covered with a Lake Superior nautical map collage.

There is a lighthouse bed and breakfast that we love to visit, up along the Lake Superior shoreline in the Upper Peninsula. We have stayed there during all times of the year, and I have been fascinated by the wild, elemental nature of the lake. According to those who have traveled the lake, it might as well be the ocean for as big as it is. I tried to capture those qualities in this sculpture.

Comments

Popular Posts