Writing, Day 1

So it's the first day of NaNoWriMo and I've gotten to 2398 words. I'm kind of impressed, although not with the quality of writing. I am seeing a few sparks of what this thing could become, however, and that's exciting. The piece is supposed to be a noir mystery set in 1948, but I haven't found the right snappy tone for my detective, Jack Evans. I am trusting that as I get to know him better, he will become more real and his personality will take on depth. The last thing I want him to be is a failed loser detective who is boring to listen to!

Comments

  1. You should watch "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" for inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one! I hope that mine doesn't become a comedy though. I am going for B-level noir.

    Some of my favorite noir films are:
    - The Maltese Falcon (of course!)
    - The Big Sleep
    - The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
    - Double Indemnity
    - Laura
    - Strangers on a Train
    - Out of the Past
    - Kiss of Death

    The last one is most notable for Richard Widmark playing a giggling psychopath. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please post a comment!

Popular Posts