Background

9.08.2011

Rosehill progress


 I killed the carpet. I attempted to re-color it to more closely match the one in the movie, and in the process I ruined it. I also realized that it was way too small for the room. From what I can see in the photos of the set, the life size rug would have been about 10x14 feet, which almost fills the room. I have searched in vain for an image off the net that I could use to re-create it, but have found nothing. So I decided to make one from scratch. The goal is to approximate the colors and visual texture of the rug in the movie. The thread is Appleton crewel wool on a linen background.


These photos are of my mock up of the first floor. It's probably hard to see in these photos, but I've drawn some measurements in the kitchen for the placement of counters and the stove and refrigerator. The living room shows the drawing I made for the rug measurements, so you can get a sense of how big it will be.

Dealing with the proportions on this project has been rather challenging. I keep finding mistakes, and find myself wondering how it escaped my notice before. It doesn't help that I am working from my best guesses based on the set photos. Now that I have the shell mocked up, I can better see if the space is working.