New Artwork

Hello all! I am not going to apologize for being AWOL, as I've had wonderful things happening in my real life which have kept me out of the studio. I am engaged to a fantastic guy, and we are in the process of renovating his house and will be moving in this summer. I will be selling my house so my studio and all of my projects will be packed up for a little while. Once I am unpacked in my new space I have big plans for new mini projects, dolls, and artwork. I wanted to give you an update on what I've been doing.


This is a piece that I made for a friend of mine who lives in Japan. He had posted a photo of his daughter on Facebook, and I thought the image was so lovely and inspirational, and needed to become artwork. It is made of fabric fused to a backing fabric and colored pencil and measures about 8.5" by 11". I should share that this image came about after I read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. In a nutshell, she explains the Greek philosophy of the "genius", where ideas choose an artist to make them manifest, and the job of the artist is to accept the task given to them. This takes the onus of inspiration off the artist, and mainly gives you the job of making. I have to say, this piece was created very quickly, and is probably the first thing I have ever made that I totally wanted to keep for myself. I was practically vibrating with joy by the time it was finished. Alas, I did send it to my friend and his family in Japan (they love it) but I know another idea will be given to me and I cannot wait. I would highly recommend Big Magic if you struggle with completing your ideas.

Cheers to you all!

Comments

Popular Posts