Sofa for Rosehill Cottage

Hi there! Long time, no see. (Just noticed the first post for this project was almost exactly 6 years ago!)



I've been searching high and low for a 1:24 scale sofa for the living room of Rosehill Cottage. This piece of furniture is important, because it's in the center of the scene of The Holiday where Cameron Diaz and Jude Law's characters meet for the first time. It's a very specific style of antique sofa, with caning and soft lines. I finally found a kit on Etsy made by Red Cottage Miniatures of Australia that seemed similar enough that I could bash it into something comparable. (I also bought three other kits from them for Rosehill Cottage, and just love them. I was instantly communicated with, plus the shipping from Australia was super fast. I cannot recommend the store enough!)



The kit came together really fast. It's laser cut, and all the pieces popped apart cleanly and didn't need a lot of sanding. After glueing everything together I cut down the back to be closer to the height of the movie sofa. I added fabric made from antique linen that I hand-drew the stripes on. I probably should have bought scale striped fabric, but to be honest once I got the kit together and could tell it would work I was too excited to stop.

The finishing touch was something to mimic caning on the sides and back. For this I used some needlepoint fabric I had in my stash. I cannot remember the count of the fabric, but it's pretty small. You get a sense of the texture which was what I was going for. Overall, it's not an exact replica, but as close as I could find.





This project stalled for a while for personal reasons, but I am excited to have gotten back to it. I hope to have a few more updates soon.


Cheers!


Comments

  1. Good Heavens! Where have you been? It is so nice to see you again. I am delighted to hear you are working on your cottage. The sofa looks great. I hope this means we will be seeing more of you again soon. :-) XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! So nice to hear from you as well. I got divorced and the breakup started about a month after my last post, January of 2014. I just haven't had the emotional energy to even go in my studio until very recently. I did try to update my blog followers right after my divorce was final in June of 2015, but my ex was lurking and saw my post and wrongly thought I was being critical of him so I deleted it. Everything is going so well in my personal life now, and I've gotten jazzed about working in miniature again so I am back! The Holiday is one of my go-to feelgood films, so every time I put it on I've longed to have Rosehill Cottage finished. You were one of the first and most encouraging supporters of the project, and I am so excited to be back in touch. I've been keeping an eye on Kilmouski too. Here's to great things to come! -Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear everything is going so well for you now. I am delighted you are happy and feel inspired to start working on your cottage again.
    'The Holiday' was such a fun movie. I think loads of people fell in love with that cottage. Every time I see pictures of it in Pintrest, I think of you. Thank you for the up date. XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alessandra!
    Very sorry to learn of your recent divorce. It is a roller coaster ride leading up to it, during and after it so my heart goes out to you.
    Miniatures are a wonderful emotional therapy though and I am very happy that you are finding it to be that too!
    The sofa kit is LOVELY! Shannon's half scale laser kits are getting Great reviews from other miniaturists as well, and your modifications of the side panels has customized it Beautifully.
    No doubt you are now imagining yourself comfortably sprawled out on it, just as Cameron Diaz is in the photo, which is what I think that sofas are made for. :))

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Elizabeth! Great to hear from you! Yes, miniatures certainly help, but I also now have a wonderful relationship with a great guy who thinks I am amazing. That helps too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please post a comment!

Popular Posts