Background

8.08.2013

Vintage Singer sewing machine

Machine ready for oiling.
 I posted this a looooong time ago, that I found a working vintage 1941 Singer model 15-90 sewing machine in someone's trash. I have a sewing project I need to do for my younger daughter, and wanted to use the machine for it, so I am finally rehabbing it - making it look pretty and getting it into working order. I found a great online resource for parts. After taking it apart, cleaning and oiling it, it works wonderfully! I was even able to find a free PDF of the original manual which was of immense help in the set up process. I also found Lizzie Lenard on YouTube who has a number of tutorials for using vintage machines, which is great for us visual learners.

This beautiful cabinet sewing machine is in the living room which will make it so easy to use for quick, simple sewing jobs. I am SO excited that something I got for free is beautiful and useable.


Testing the bobbin winder.
Perfect bobbin, despite the dried-out wheel.

Beautiful shiny metal!

Good as new.

Achieved nice thread tension after lots of adjusting.